Warning! Editing this pageset section will affect all pages on your website.

AB 104: Pass/No Pass Procedures

Assembly Bill 104: Pass/No Pass Procedures
Posted on 08/03/2021



ASSEMBLY BILL 104 - Pass/No Pass Procedures

For translated documents, click on the language link below:

Request for “Pass” or “No Pass” grade marks
AB 104 allows parents or guardians of high school students enrolled in coursework during the 2020-21 school year to replace their letter grades to a “Pass" (P) or “No Pass” (NP) designation on their transcript:

  • “Pass” (P) can replace a final grade mark of A, B, C, or D
  • “No Pass” (NP) can replace a final grade mark of F, NC, or NG
  • P/NP marks are not calculated into the overall GPA
  • P/NP grades do not suppress previously earned D/F grades
    • The intent of grade suppression is to encourage a SDUSD student who receives a “D” or “F” on a SDUSD course to repeat the same course or course equivalent multiple times, to improve the mark and the cumulative GPA
    • A P/NP grade change is not recommended for a course that has suppressed a repeated D or F grade, as this will remove the suppression and will now impact the GPA calculation
  • Grade replacement can occur for SDUSD courses taken during the 2020 summer and 2020-21 school year
    • Charter schools, out-of-district schools, college courses on SDUSD transcripts do not apply
  • This only applies to SDUSD courses that meet high school graduation requirements, including high school courses taken in 7th and 8th grade
  • There is no limitation on the number of grades that can be replaced with P/NP as long as the coursework was completed during 2020-21
  • Once a change is requested and completed, the change cannot be undone

Parents/guardians who would like to request P/NP grade replacement need to complete and submit the following form via email to the Office of Leadership and Learning at [email protected]:

  • Click on this link to access the fillable form for grade replacement requests: https://www.cde.ca.gov/ci/gs/ps/documents/gradechange20form.pdf
  • Forms must be submitted within 15 DAYS of the posting of this procedure
  •  The submission window will be August 2nd - August 17th
  • Forms submitted after the 15 day window will NOT be accepted or processed
  • Parents/guardians will be notified when their student’s transcript has been updated with P/NP marks

AB 104 requires Cal State Universities (CSU) and requests that the University of California (UC) and private colleges accept transcripts with a “Pass” or “No Pass” designation. CLICK HERE to view a full list of California colleges and universities that will accept P/NP grade marks.

A parent/guardian informational webinar will be held on Thursday, August 5th at 5pm, to review the procedure for Pass/No Pass and the potential impacts of requesting grade replacement. Please register for the webinar at https://sandiegounified.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_JeWe_vIgQu6czJqlyE45EQ. After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar.